It is estimated that the homeless population is approximately 71,130 in Los Angeles and Orange Counties (Source: 2013 State of Homelessness in America and 2013 Point-In-Time). The Recuperative Care Center, located in three regions (Mid-City/LA, La Puente/SGV and Buena Park/OC) provide hospitals a discharge option for homeless patients who are not sick enough to remain in the hospital, but too sick for the shelter. It is estimated that patients are kept up to four extra days in the hospital, due to insufficient availability of appropriate beds. Recuperative care is a cost effective way to provide needed aftercare to homeless patients in a safe and clean environment to recover, receive medical oversight, support in attending following up appointments, connection to supportive services and housing options. Since the inception of the program in 2010:
- 63 hospitals participate in the Recuperative Care Center
- Over 2700 referrals submitted
- 44% connected to transitional or permanent housing
- Over $13.2M cost savings to hospitals
Measured or Anticipated Outcomes
Improve access to recuperative care for homeless persons in multiple counties.
- Reduce number of unnecessary days for homeless persons in hospitals.
- Connect homeless persons to social services, medical services and housing options.
- Track post recuperative patients placed into housing and on status of return to hospital vs. medical home.
- Track hospital challenges and implement solutions and “best practices.”
- Establish the model as self-sustaining and replicable.
The project seeks to establish that the provision of recuperative care services is a cost effective way to provide needed aftercare to homeless patients recently discharged from acute care hospitals and reduce recidivism.
Hospital Association of Southern California, Methodist Hospital Foundation, Pomona Valley Hospital Medical Center, YWCA San Gabriel Valley, Pomona Community Health Center, and Corporation for Supportive Housing.
Shakoya Green, Director of Recuperative Care Center at firstname.lastname@example.org